The Mississippi Association of Supervisors County Employee Scholarship Program will award $500 scholarships to qualifying students in each of Mississippi’s 82 counties meeting the eligibility requirements below. Counties will receive up to two $500 scholarships: one scholarship for participation in each of the MAS Insurance Trust (property and casualty insurance) and the MPE Workers Compensation Trust. Scholarships will be awarded based on applicant’s county of permanent residence.
Click here to download the 2016-2017 County Employee Scholarship Application Form.
Applicant must meet all criteria listed below:
- Have an immediate family member (parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, legal guardian or spouse) who is either a current or retired Mississippi county employee.
Dependents of elected county officials are not eligible for this Scholarship Program.
- Be a legal resident of the State of Mississippi.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) and demonstrate community involvement.
- Be a current high school senior OR currently enrolled in a Mississippi college, junior or community college, or university.
- If awarded a scholarship, Applicant must show proof of enrollment at an accredited public college, university, junior college or community college in Mississippi before funds will be released. (Private colleges, universities and technical schools are not eligible.)
- ALL sections of this application must be completed and submitted with each of the required attachments. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Include the following documents in your application packet.
- Completed County Employee Scholarship Application Form.
- Letter or transcript on school letterhead evidencing student’s cumulative GPA (4.0 scale).
- Letter on county letterhead evidencing employment or retirement of sponsoring, non-elected county employee.
- Typed essay (300-500 words) answering “Why is county government important to you?”
- Please type or print legibly in blue or black ink. If additional space is needed, you may attach other pages to the application form.
- Questions? Contact Stephanie Spangler via email@example.com or by calling 601.353.2741.
- Deadline to apply is March 1, 2017. Application packets must be received at the MAS Office no later than 4:30 p.m. on March 1, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Send completed application with all attachments to:
Via U. S. Mail: MAS Scholarship Program, 793 N. President St., Jackson, MS 39202
Via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via fax to: (601) 353-2749, Attention: Scholarship Program
1. What is MAS?
The Mississippi Association of Supervisors (MAS) is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit support association for Mississippi’s 82 counties. Since its inception in 1908, MAS has been committed to the improvement of county government across our state. Find out more at our website www.mssupervisors.org.
2. Who is eligible to apply?
The MAS County Employee Scholarship Program is open to high school seniors. Students currently enrolled in an accredited, public college, university, junior college or community college in Mississippi may also apply.
Applicants must have an immediate family member (parent, stepparent, grandparent, step-grandparent, legal guardian or spouse) who is a current or retired employee of one of Mississippi’s 82 counties. Dependents of elected county officials are not eligible for this scholarship program.
3. What is the deadline to apply?
Completed applications must be received at the MAS office no later than 4:30 p.m., March 1, 2017.
Applications must be mailed to MAS Scholarship Program, 793 N. President St., Jackson, MS 39202; emailed to email@example.com; or faxed to 601.349.2749, Attn: Scholarship Program.
4. My (parent/grandparent) works for a county, but I live in another state. Can I apply for this scholarship?
No. Applicants must be a U. S. citizen and a legal resident of the State of Mississippi.
5. My (parent/grandparent) works for a county, but I live in a different county in Mississippi. Can I apply for this scholarship?
Yes. Scholarships are awarded based on the applicant’s county of permanent residence, which does not have to be the same county for which the qualifying family member works.
6. My (parent/grandparent) is an elected official (Supervisor/Chancery Clerk/Circuit Clerk/Tax Assessor/Sheriff). Can I apply for this scholarship? What if they are a retired elected official?
No. Because of Mississippi ethics laws, elected county officials are not eligible sponsors for this program, regardless of whether they are currently in office or retired.
7. Are county school districts teachers/educators or county hospital employees eligible?
No. Only those directly employed by (or retired from) a county government are eligible. County school districts, county hospitals and other county-owned businesses are separate entities, not county departments.
8. I applied for the MAS County Employee Scholarship last year but was not awarded a scholarship. May I apply this year?
Yes, you may reapply this year as long as you meet the eligibility criteria.
9. I was awarded an MAS County Employee Scholarship last year. May I apply again this year?
No, the scholarship is a one-time award.